Today’s generation is becoming very picky about their food choices and a plethora of people are shifting their diet from animal based food to plant based food. A vegan diet can be defined as a diet that does not include any animal based food in it for instance eggs, meat, honey, dairy products, etc.
Every habit that a person changes is for a reason or for some benefits and the same goes for changing the diet to plant based or vegan. There are several health benefits of changing to vegan diet which are as follows:-
1) Vegan diet helps a person to loose weight easily as compared to the animal based diet and the reason for that is the amount of fat is very high in animal based products for example- pork, fresh milk, etc.
2) It helps to lower the blood sugar level and lowers the risk of getting type 2 diabetes.
3) Vegan foods also help in the hearts health and lowers the risk of heart related diseases.
Other than health, vegan diet or plant based diet also have environmental benefits. The production of animal based food creates a very high load on the environment as compared to plant based diet because its production needs a high amount of water and crops to be used as feed and it also needs a lot of land.
As i want to become a chef, and open a restaurant in the future, i will try to focus on the menu planning by my own and I believe that including some vegan or plant based dishes to the menu is a very brilliant idea, but if I say that i will completely make the menu vegan then it will be not good for my business growth as all the non vegan food eaters will not be attracted to my restaurant. I have to think for both environment as well as my profit and it will be good that I don’t change the menu fully to vegan.
Vegan recipe :- Aloo gobi
- Add vegetable oil in a pan and heat it, then add small diced onions, salt and stir well.
- Add ginger, green chillies, and tomatoes and stir well.
- Add garam masala, turmeric and stir at low heat.
- Add largely diced potatoes, cauliflower, peas, coriander and water. Cover until the vegetables become soft or after 20 mins on low heat.
- Make sure to stir the preparation side by side while cooking.
Presenting:- present the dish hot in a small sized bowl.
Talking about my experience while recipe preparation:-
It was very easy to find the ingredients in the st. Lawrence market as each and every ingredient used is simple and easy to find. I learned a new recipe as my mother used to make this dish in India but i have made this dish for the first time. I found it challenging to do because it was my first time preparing this dish and it was made for my roommates. My roommates liked the dish a lot and they requested me to make the dish again soon so that means yes i will be preparing the dish again.
Citations:- all the pictures used in this blog belong to Manav Gaba (me) and and there is no picture used from outside sources.
Pictures 1,3,4,5,6,7 are clicked by me (Manav Gaba) and picture 2 is clicked by Akshit Gupta (culinary management student)